Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Car Spotting: 1986-1988 Pontiac Fiero GT


I saw this car in Kitchener, Ontario.
Does anybody remember that in the 1980's GM made two different two-seat sports cars? The Corvette, ofcourse, and the Pontiac Fiero...
Because of the oil crisis of 1979 caused by the Iranian revolution, General Motors saw the need to build a fuel efficient car that was fun to drive for people who'd spend a lot of time commuting by themselves. This was definitely not a vehicle that you could car pool in!
The Fiero was also unusual because it was an American car with a mid-engine, meaning the power plant was almost right behind the driver. It was certainly a unique car!
The Fiero pictured is a GT model. While the original came with a 4-cylinder engine, these had V-6's. The GT also looks sleeker than the base version which was boxy in design.
While the Fiero outsold its main competitor, the Toyota MR2, and also made a small profit for Pontiac, GM killed the car line in 1988. At the time there were manyFieros around and they were incurring a bad name for quality and durability issues. Today, however, they are an interesting collectible!
1984 Commercial for the original Fiero...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First and foremost: Fieros will NEVER be a collectors car. A mere novelty, yes; a collectors car, NO. The 1980's was the most disastrous era in automotive history. Cars like the Fiero seriously tarnished GM's reputation. Japanese and European cars began out shining American vehicles rapidly. It has taken GM nearly 30 years since the Fiero era to introduce vehicles that can be competitive with their foreign makes. In the modern era of the automobile, the '50s, '60s and early '70s GM was acing their way with beautiful designs, quality, durability and innovation. That pretty much came to a halt late in the '70s and dissolved in the '80s. The '90s saw a twinkle of hope for GM. And, of course, it wouldn't be until the first decade of the new millenium that the new GM would once again show some seriousness in their products.

Anonymous said...

In February 1984 I took delivery of my brand new firey red Fiero. It was my first brand new car. I felt pretty smug in my new Fiero darting from lane to lane and sprinting around corners. My fondness for my Fiero dimmed when so many issues plagued my new car. After 2 1/2 years of ownership I finally traded my Fiero for a new '87 Mazda RX7. The Mazda was sooooo much better tham the Fierp that I couldn't even begin to go on how much better the RX7 was. After 13 years 250,000 wonderful miles I sold my dear Mazda and got myself a new 2000 RX8 that I still own. I will never, ever, own an american car!